Skip to main content

“employee doesn’t want to work when it snows, interview expense shenanigans, and more” plus 3 more Ask a Manager

“employee doesn’t want to work when it snows, interview expense shenanigans, and more” plus 3 more Ask a Manager


employee doesn’t want to work when it snows, interview expense shenanigans, and more

Posted: 18 Jan 2018 09:03 PM PST

It's five answers to five questions. Here we go…

1. My employee doesn't want to work when it snows

I'm a manager in a medium-size nonprofit where I oversee a staff of twelve. Last year one of my employees had attendance problems related to various stressors involving family members, a personal loss, illness, car trouble, winter weather, etc. Some of these stressors were quite significant; others were the sort of thing most of us would power through and handle after our workday was over. Because the employee was stressed overall though, I was supportive and allowed the time off. However, as the year went on it became a real problem. His frequent, last-minute absences or sudden departures halfway through the workday began to have a negative impact on the clientele we help. And since I usually ended up covering for this employee with little or no notice, his absences would keep me from my own work. Using AAM tips, I had a meeting where I advised that we valued him as an employee, but his ongoing pattern of being absent/unavailable to work was affecting the functioning of the organization. I told him going forward he would have to be at work consistently or we would initiate progressive discipline. His attendance improved immediately and hasn't been a problem — until now.

Today, my employee emailed me that he might not make it to work tomorrow because of a possible snowfall in the forecast. A number of this employee's absences last year were snow-related, for reasons such as "can't get out of the driveway" and "the snow is too bad to drive in.” Other employees who live in the same town came to work on those days though, which makes me wonder if my employee is unusually hesitant to drive in snowy weather.

We all know snow is part of life here and we all plan for it. We get up early, shovel ourselves out, brush off our vehicles, leave plenty of extra time to drive in at a safe speed and then … WE GO TO WORK. I don't expect anyone to drive in crazy-dangerous whiteout conditions by any means, but in routine snowy weather everyone else managed to get here last year except this employee. My question is: can I tell my employee that he should be making some sort of contingency plan for himself so he can get to work in the winter, whether it means getting up early to shovel out, hiring a plow service, putting on snow tires, or whatever makes getting to work possible? I know his finances are tight and some of those solutions might be hard to afford, but it seems to me that getting to work in routine winter weather is a reasonable expectation. Do you have any suggestions about how to handle this problem?

Yes, all of that is reasonable. And it sounds like his own judgment is not well calibrated for figuring out what's absence-worthy, so you've got to be explicit that you don't consider routine snow a reason to stay home.

It’s very reasonable to say, "I need you to make plans to be able to get to work during routine snowy weather. Certainly in a very rare case of unusually bad weather, driving might not be safe, but in general, most of the time when it snows here, my expectation is that you'll still come in, like the rest of us do. Is there something going on that is getting in the way of that?" And depending on his answer, you can indeed talk to him about what other people do in order to get to work in the snow — plow services, snow tires, etc.

2. Employer wants a letter from my current job before they'll reimburse my interview travel expenses

I went on a job interview in December out of town, and the prospective employer will not reimburse my travel expenses without a letter from my current employer stating I was not on company time. Is this a common request? If I ask this from my current HR, they are going to know I went on an interview and this is not something they would take well at all.

No, that is not normal at all. And it's very weird — are they trying to ensure that you weren't on a company-paid business trip when you came to their town to interview with them? The chances of that happening are fairly low, and it's a particularly odd thing for them to be hung up on.

You should be able to say to them, "My current employer doesn't know I'm interviewing and telling them that before I'm ready to leave could jeopardize my job, which obviously isn't a risk I can take. When I flew out to interview with you, it was with the understanding that you'd be covering my travel expenses and I certainly hope you'll follow through on that agreement."

3. Recruiter contacts me over and over again for the same job, then ignores me

A few years ago, I worked a temporary clerical position that paid better than any other in my area. I did well there and received good feedback from my managers.

The company contracts clerks for the same position at least twice a year through the same staffing agency. The first time I was hired, a family friend recommended me to the recruiter and I did a 10-minute phone interview that only asked about my availability before I was told when to show up for training. The recruiter had the final say in who was hired.

Since my contract with the company ended, the same recruiter has contacted me at least six times via text message to ask if I wanted to work that job again. Each time I’ve responded within an hour that I would and emailed the her my resume. Each time she has gone completely silent and never responded to my follow-up emails or texts, only to contact me and begin the cycle again the next time the company is hiring for the position.

I’m hesitant to ask her to stop this in case I do get the job at some point, but this behavior seems very strange to me. Is there a polite way to ask why she keeps contacting me if she has no intention of hiring me? I’d like to know if I’m doing something wrong.

I suspect that when she has a position to fill, she's emailing a bunch of people to see if they're interested. She then does her 10-minute phone interview with the first couple of people she hears from, hires one of them, and ignores everyone else who responded. This is a rude way to operate, but it's not uncommon. People who do it are doing it because it's more efficient for them to put out a whole bunch of feelers all at once rather than contacting people one at a time … but she should be getting back to you to let you know the role is no longer available and it's rude that she's not. But it's also really, really common for some recruiters.

4. Rejecting good early-stage candidates when we’ve just filled the position

I’m hiring for a marketing role that has taken 3+ months to fill. We’re very close to closing on Jane, a promising candidate, but I’ve continued to review applications and phone screen in the meantime. You never know what’s going to happen!

There are several recent applicants who have passed the phone screen. If we close on Jane, I’ll need to tell these other candidates that we’re not moving forward with them. They’re good candidates and if the timing were different (or I had more roles open right now), I’d move them forward. How exactly do I word that email?

You don't have to explain all of that, but if you want to, you could say it this way: "Thanks so much for taking the time to talk with me about our llama groomer position. I thought you were a strong candidate and was excited to continue talking with you, but the timing ended up not being ideal — we just offered the position to someone who's accepted it. But I'd love to keep you in mind if we have similar openings in the future, and I'll plan to contact you if that happens." If you're unlikely to have similar openings any time soon, you could replace that last sentence with, "I really appreciate your interest in our work, and I hope our paths might cross again in the future."

5. Can our pay be docked if we don't turn in our time sheets?

I’m an exempt employee working for a midsize company in Dallas, TX, and within the department I work for, we’re required to submit a weekly time sheet. I’m pretty good about doing this, but some of my coworkers are not. That recently prompted our boss to send out an email threatening to deny PTO to anyone who was behind on their time sheets, and in some cases, to dock their pay. He indicated in his email that he had spoken to HR about this, but docking people’s pay sounds fishy to me — especially since his boss was not included on the email he sent us. Everyone on our team is exempt, and I was under the impression that exempt employees could not have their pay docked except for very specific reasons.

Is my boss threatening us with something illegal, and if so, is there something I should do about it?

Yep. He can't dock anyone's pay — whether they're exempt or non-exempt — for not submitting time sheets. Exempt employees can't have their pay docked except in a small number of very specific circumstances (and this isn't one of them), and non-exempt employees must be paid for all hours worked, time sheet or no time sheet.

You could respond to him by saying, "We're actually not allowed to dock exempt employees’ pay except in the circumstances described here and could get into a lot of trouble if we do — we could lose our exemption for anyone whose pay is docked and end up owing them overtime, as well as fines." You could also just go straight to HR about this, framing it as "I'm concerned there's been a misunderstanding here and that we'd be running afoul of the law."

employee doesn’t want to work when it snows, interview expense shenanigans, and more was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

is there a best time to send rejection letters?

Posted: 18 Jan 2018 10:59 AM PST

A reader writes:

Is there a standard for when to send out rejection letters? I deal with a lot of hiring in my job and I usually know as soon as I review a resume or hold an interview whether or I'm going to reject someone, but I have always figured that people don't want to receive a rejection notice within hours of leaving a job interview, so I wait a few days.

A friend recently told me that she never rejects people on Fridays because it will be a bad start to their weekend and that she held a lot of rejections for longer than normal last month because she didn't want to send them close to Christmas. Personally, I'd always rather know whether or not I had a job sooner, rather than having the employer worry about things like that. But is there a standard practice on timing these?

There's never really a good time to reject people.

I've heard people complain that they were rejected right before a holiday weekend. I've heard people complain that they were rejected right after a holiday weekend. I've heard people complain that they were rejected too quickly, and people who complain that the rejection took too long.

All you can really do is strive for a timeline that feels reasonable to you. I do what you do — I often know right away that I'm going to reject someone, but I wait a few days (usually between three days and a week) before sending the rejection email. It's still getting them an answer reasonably quickly, but if it's faster than that, some people think you didn't fully consider their candidacy or feel stung, like you're saying "you're so terrible that I didn't even need time to think about this."

But beyond that, I don't think you need to worry too much. I mean, I would not send someone a rejection on Christmas — and in fact, it's probably good practice to only send rejections on regular business days, at least if you're in a job with standard business hours. But I don't think you need to make the entire last two weeks of December rejection-free or worry about sending rejections on Fridays. That's going into a level of managing other people's emotions that isn't required (and really, there's no way to know if you're dealing with someone who would rather just hear the news immediately or someone who will appreciate your delicacy around their imminent weekend).

The important thing here is that you’re sending them. Far too many employers don’t bother to send them at all, and that’s inexcusably rude.

is there a best time to send rejection letters? was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

I don’t think I’d be good at the job I’m interviewing for

Posted: 18 Jan 2018 09:30 AM PST

A reader writes:

How can I stop myself from focusing on the aspects of a job I know I won’t be good at?

The organization has contacted me for an interview, which means they think I’m qualified. But I’m scared they’re going to smell my fear — fear that they’re interviewing someone for a public-facing position who really would prefer hiding in a back room and being behind the scenes.

There are many detail-oriented parts of the job that I know I’d be good at, like proofreading documents, doing social media, and putting together promotional materials like flyers and newsletters. It’s just the reception and customer service part that I’m scared of. I wouldn’t really say I’m a people person. I’m pretty introverted, and though no one would say I’m unfriendly or sour, I’m afraid I’m just not a front desk personality. I also become short-circuited if too many things are going on at once — I prefer to work at my own pace.

I keep trying to tell myself that I would probably be okay with these aspects of the job once I’m trained and I’ve gotten used to those duties, but then I tell myself, “No! You’d suck at it!”

Does it sound like I really shouldn’t be trying to do this type of work considering my temperament? But there is no perfect job, and this has a good salary range and is in a library, and I have a library background. I feel like I can’t afford to sabotage myself.

I answer this question over at Inc. today, where I'm revisiting letters that have been buried in the archives here from years ago (and sometimes updating/expanding my answers to them). You can read it here.

I don’t think I’d be good at the job I’m interviewing for was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

what items have made your life at work easier or more pleasant?

Posted: 18 Jan 2018 07:59 AM PST

A reader writes:

Last week’s post about the modesty panels on desks made me a) thankful my desk has a modesty panel, when I’ve never given it any consideration before, and b) think of a possible post idea. I would love to know what office supplies/office items commenters have purchased or have been given that made their work much easier. With the new year starting, I have supply money that I want to use to buy great things that make my work easier, more efficient, more pleasant, etc. In the past, one of my best purchases has been a really nice pair of over-the-ear headphones!

Readers, have at it! What items have made your life at work easier or more pleasant? Share in the comments.

what items have made your life at work easier or more pleasant? was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

loading...

Lexo edhe:

Postimet e fundit






Popular posts from this blog

Trajta e shquar dhe e pashquar e emrit

  Trajta e shquar dhe e pashquar e emrit Trajta themelore e emrit është rasa emërore e pashquar.  Nga trajta themelore ose parësore i fitojmë format e tjera gramatikore të emrit (trajtat). Emrat , si në njëjës ashtu edhe në shumës, përdoren në dy trajta: a) në trajtë të pashquar dhe b) në trajtë të shquar shquar. Emri në trajtën e pashquar tregon qenie, sende ose dukuri në përgjithësi, në mënyrë të papërcaktuar. P.sh.: një nxënës, një punëtor, një mendim , një mace, një laps etj. Emri në trajtën e shquar tregon qenie, sende ose dukuri të tjera, të veçuara nga gjërat e tjera të llojit të vet. P.sh.: nxënësi, punëtori, mendimi, macja, lapsi etj.   Formë përfaqësuese (bazë) e emrit është trajta e pashquar, numri njëjës, rasa emërore : djalë, vajzë, shkollë, lule, letër, njeri, kompjuter, lepur, qen, piano etj. Trajta e shquar e emrit formohet duke i pasvendosur formës përfaqësuese nyjën shquese, përkatësisht mbaresën: a) për emrat e gjin

Ese të ndryshme shqip

Ese dhe Hartime '' Ese dhe hartime të ndryshme shqip dhe anglisht '' Ndalohet rreptësisht kopjimi dhe postimi në një faqe tjetër.  Redaksia Rapitful ka lexuar disa ankesa në emailin e saj të bëra nga disa arsimtarë dhe profesorë ku janë ankuar se nxënësit po i kopjojnë esetë dhe hartimet nga faqja Rapitful dhe me ato ese apo shkrime po prezantohen gjatë shkrimit të eseve dhe hartimeve. Pra redaksia Rapitful kërkon nga nxënësit që të mos kopjojnë esetë dhe hartimet dhe me to të prezantohen para mësimdhënësve por le të jenë këto ese vetëm si një udhërrëfyes se si duhet të shkruhet një ese apo hartim dhe asesi të kopjohen. Ju faleminderit për mirëkuptim. Ese dhe hartime do te shtohen vazhdimisht keshtuqe na vizitoni prap. Nëse dëshironi Analiza letrare të veprave të ndryshme kliko mbi Analiza Letrare Kliko mbi titullin që ju intereson Ese për Diturinë   Për Mjekët! Fakultetet e sotme po kryhen me teste 6 arsye për të mos studiuar mjekësinë P

Tekste shqip: ““Ah Kjo Rruga E Gurbetit” - Shaqir Cërvadiku & Fatjon Dervishi” plus 21 more

Tekste shqip: ““Ah Kjo Rruga E Gurbetit” - Shaqir Cërvadiku & Fatjon Dervishi” plus 21 more “Ah Kjo Rruga E Gurbetit” - Shaqir Cërvadiku & Fatjon Dervishi “Du Me T'pa” - Gjyle Qollaku Nora Istrefi “Kercejna” - Sabiani Feat. Denis Taraj Getoar Selimi “Du Me T'pa” - Lori Bora Zemani “Million” - Melissa
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Show more